Midwives needed for digital pilot
The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) is looking for midwives and healthcare professionals to take part in their pilot programme for digital maternity exemption certificates. The digital scheme is a quicker and cheaper alternative to the paper FW8 application form for faster and easier access to maternity exemption for mums-to-be.
Since its launch to a small pool of midwives in January 2017, the digital pilot has received over 40,000 applications. The NHSBSA is now looking for more midwives to join the pilot and try out the new service.
Pregnant mothers and women who have given birth in the last 12 months are entitled to free NHS dental treatment and NHS prescriptions with a valid maternity exemption certificate. The NHSBSA’s digital maternity exemption pilot ensures that women receive their certificate instantly.
There are currently over 2000 midwives taking part in the digital pilot and out of an average of 460,000 annual maternity exemption certificate applications, around 17% are received via the digital route. The remaining 83% are received through a paper application form which mothers fill in and pass onto their GP or midwife to countersign and post. Mothers could wait weeks before receiving their certificate in the post as the forms are often sent in weekly batches.
How to sign up to the digital pilot:
Midwives and GPs can sign up to the pilot quickly and easily. For those who already have an existing nhs.net email address, they can use this to register and log in. This can be done by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including:
- NMC or GMC number
- net email address
Amy Carss, Service Delivery Manager at NHSBSA said: “We have been working really hard on the development of this pilot and have been delighted with the success so far.
The digital route holds many benefits for midwives and the women they look after, including instant exemption certificates and less administration work. We’re really encouraging midwives and GP’s to sign up to our digital pilot and spread the word within the community.”
For more information about maternity exemption certificates or the digital pilot, visit https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/maternity-exemption-certificates
Notes to editors
Issued by: NHSBSA Communications Team; email email@example.com
About the NHS Business Services Authority
The NHS Business Services Authority is a Special Health Authority and an Arm’s Length Body of the Department of Health and Social Care which provides a range of critical central services to NHS organisations, NHS contractors, patients and the public. Its purpose is to be a catalyst for better health and its vision is to be the delivery partner of choice for the NHS. For more information about the NHSBSA, please visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk.