NHS organisation named one of Britain's top LGBT inclusive employers
- NHS Business Services Authority [National organisation with headquarters in Newcastle] makes incredible leap to rank 51st (from 88th) on LGBT charity’s annual list of inclusive employers
- Stonewall index receives a record 503 submissions
NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) [has been named one of the most inclusive employers in Britain by lesbian, gay, bi and trans equality charity Stonewall in its Top 100 Employers list for 2020.
NHSBSA has placed 51st on this year’s list, making an incredible leap from 88th place in 2019 to 51st this year.
Stonewall’s criteria for its list of top 100 employers are rigorous. It is an annual audit of LGBT inclusion by employers across workplaces, services and communities. More than 500 organisations participated this year, the most that have ever taken part.
Stonewall’s 2018 Work Report revealed more than a third of LGBT staff (35 per cent) have felt they had to hide that they are LGBT at work and almost one in five LGBT employees (18 per cent) have been the target of negative comments from colleagues because of their identity.
Michael Brodie, Chief Executive of NHSBSA said: “We’re absolutely delighted to have moved up the Workplace Equality Index to 51st place, a huge jump from 88th last year. This achievement is testament to the hard work of our Wellbeing and Inclusion team and amazing staff networks, and reflects the fantastic strides we’re making in creating a great, inclusive place to work here at the NHS Business Services Authority. Being able to be our authentic selves and give and be our best in the workplace profoundly matters and as such this reflection of the lived experience of our LGBT+ colleagues is so important to us and is something of which we’re very proud.”
Sanjay Sood-Smith, Stonewall’s Executive Director of Workplace & Community Programmes, said: “We are delighted to name NHSBSA as one of our Top 100 Employers this year. All the organisations in this year's Top 100 Employer's list are playing a huge role in improving the lives of LGBT people, and should be very proud of their work.
“We still don't live in a world where everyone is able to be themselves in the workplace, as we know more than a third of LGBT staff (35 per cent) hide who they are at work. By taking steps to make their workplaces supportive and welcoming of all lesbian, gay, bi and trans people, businesses like NHSBSA are bringing us closer to a world where everyone is accepted without exception.”
Stonewall’s Top 100 is compiled from submissions to the Workplace Equality Index, a powerful benchmarking tool used by employers to assess their achievements and progress on LGBT equality in the workplace, as well as their wider work in the community and on service provision.
Each organisation must demonstrate their expertise in 10 key areas including employment policy and practice, networking groups, senior leadership, procurement and how well they’ve engaged with LGBT communities.
To see the full list, please visit: https://www.stonewall.org.uk/full-list-top-100-employers-2020
Notes to editors
- Stonewall’s 2018 Work Report – as mentioned above - https://www.stonewall.org.uk/lgbt-britain-work-report
- The Workplace Equality Index is voluntary and free to enter for any employer.
- 503 employers submitted entries to the 2020 Index, across public, private and third sectors. More than ever before.
- As part of the Index, there is a staff feedback questionnaire that participating employers can ask their staff to complete. This year, Stonewall received more than 109,000 responses to the staff survey, making it one of the largest national employment surveys in Britain, with 81% of LGBT respondents.
- All of the Top 100 are members of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme which helps employers to embed LGBT inclusion across their workplaces, in their services and with the communities they are part of.
- This is the seventh year that NHSBSA has taken part in the annual Index and it has made great progress each year.
About the NHS Business Services Authority
The NHS Business Services Authority is a an Arm’s Length Body of the Department of Health and Social Care which provides a range of critical central services to NHS organisations, NHS contractors, patients and the public. Its purpose is to be a catalyst for better health and its vision is to be the delivery partner of choice for the NHS. For more information about the NHSBSA, please visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk.
Stonewall is Britain’s leading charity for lesbian, gay, bi and trans equality, working to create a world where every single person can be accepted without exception.
It was founded in 1989 by a small group of people who wanted to break down barriers to equality. Stonewall continues to campaign and lobby government to change laws to ensure everyone, everywhere, is free to be themselves.
Stonewall works in partnership with a growing network of more than 750 organisations to help create real change for the better. It campaigns to eliminate homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in communities, and empowers LGBT people and their allies to be role models wherever they live, work, study, shop, socialise or pray.
To get involved visit us at www.stonewall.org.uk. Registered charity number 1101255.